Team Sprint and Madison Cap Junior Nationals
The fifth and final day of the 2012 USA Cycling Juniors Track National Championships at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center concluded on Sunday with gold medals and Stars-and-Stripes jerseys handed out for the men’s and women’s team sprints and the 20-kilometer Madison.
Jennifer Valente (San Diego, CA/Exergy TEWENTY12) picked up her sixth gold medal of the event when she paired up with 2011 junior worlds teammate Chloe Chepigin (Chappaqua, NY/Team EPS/CSS) to ride a junior world championships qualifying time of 49.405 in the women’s team sprint. The pair placed fifth in the event at junior worlds in Moscow last year.
Valente, the reigning junior world champion in the women’s scratch race, had already qualified for junior worlds by bettering the time standard necessary in the 500-meter time trial and Chepegin remains hopeful she’ll be a member of the squad headed to New Zealand next month.
“I needed the time coming into this last event and I finally got it,” Chepigin said. “We’ll see when they declare the team. It’s not for certain, but I have a national championship, so it’s looking bright.”
Chepigin’s first Stars-and-Stripes jersey this year gives her two for her career after winning the team sprint with Peyton Thomas (Grapevine, TX/FCS Cycling) last year.
“That would be fantastic to have some teammates with me in New Zealand,” Valente said. “Myself and Chloe were the only people who rode the time standards I believe.”
In the men’s team sprint, all three members of the winning KC Squared team picked up their second gold medals of the competition. Home track rider Calan Farley (Pittstown, N.J./Chester County Cycling), the winner of the keirin on Saturday night, rode the opening leg for sprint winner Conor Klupar (Fall City, Wash./Revel Consulting/Rad), who paced the second lap. Kilometer champion Kaleb Koch (Glenview, Ill./ICScorp Cycling), finished up in 1:06.011 to win the event by more than two seconds, but almost three seconds off the junior worlds qualifying time.
“We practiced earlier [Sunday] and we decided I should just go all out for that first lap, so I put on the 100-inch gear and I was just trying my hardest,” Farley said.
“Toward the end of [the second lap, I was starting to die,” admitted Klupar, whose 20-second lap was the fastest second lap of the heats. “I was just trying to keep it going for Kaleb.”
“They both poured their hearts out,” said Koch, who has two silver medals to go with his two golds. “I’m so proud of them. We couldn’t have done it any better. We put it all out there on the line.”
The team of Michael Dessau (Boulder, CO/Slipstream-Craddock) and Imari Miller (Fort Worth, TX/Slipstream-Craddock) finished off the competition with gold in the men’s 16-18, 20-kilometer Madison, winning all four sprints.
“It was just good teamwork,” said Miller, who picked up the first Stars-and-Stripes jersey of his career while competing at the bottom of the 17-18 age bracket. “He got two sprints and I got two sprints.”
“We tried not to let anybody get a lap on us,” said Dessau, who finished second in the team sprint with Miller and Zack Gould (Boulder, CO/Slipstream-Craddock), as well as second in the team pursuit and third in the omnium.
Sunday’s racing concluded the five-day event. For more information, including start lists, schedule, results, photos and daily event recaps, are available on the USA Cycling’s Juniors Track National Championships webpage. Follow the event on Twitter using the hashtag #JrTrack and purchase event photos at cyclingcaptured.com.
USA Cycling Juniors Track National Championships
Valley Preferred Cycling Center/Breinigsville, Pa.
July 11 – 15, 2012
Women’s Team Sprint
1. Jennifer Valente (San Diego, CA/EXERGY-EPS) 49.405
1. Chloe Chepigin (Chappaqua, NY/EXERGY-EPS) 49.405
2. Kirsten Williams (Lonetree, CO/NATURAL JETS) 53.393
2. Laurel Rathbun (Monument, CO/NATURAL JETS) 53.393
3. Payton Thomas (Grapevine, TX/FCS NORTHWEST) 53.415
3. Summer Moak (Katy, TX/FCS NORTHWEST) 53.415
4. Olivia Saunders (Flemington, NJ/THE VELO DREAM) 56.525
4. Kalie King (Mertztown, PA/THE VELO DREAM) 56.525
Men’s Team Sprint
1. Kaleb Koch (Glenview, IL/KC SQUARED) 01:06.11
1. Calan Farley (Pittstown, NJ/KC SQUARED) 01:06.11
1. Conor Klupar (Fall City, WA/KC SQUARED) 01:06.11
2. Michael Dessau (Boulder, CO/BLUE SLIPSTREAM) 01:08.353
2. Zack Gould (Boulder, CO/BLUE SLIPSTREAM) 01:08.353
2. Imari Miller (Fort Worth, TX/BLUE SLIPSTREAM) 01:08.353
3. Jonathon Schilling (Grover, MO/BLACK SLIPSTREAM) 01:08.361
3. Jordan Cullen (Hudson, WI/BLACK SLIPSTREAM) 01:08.361
3. Noah Williams (Wimberley, TX/BLACK SLIPSTREAM) 01:08.361
4. Tyler Nothstein (Orefield, PA/VPCC) 01:10.0
4. James Mellen (Schnecksville, PA/VPCC) 01:10.0
4. Bobby Unverzagt (Torrance, CA/VPCC) 01:10.0
5. James Hilyer (Trabuco Canyon, CA/SYB) 01:11.0
5. Edward Horvet (West Hills, CA/SYB) 01:11.0
5. Jordan Zhdanov (Van Nuys, CA/SYB) 01:11.0
1. Imari Miller (Fort Worth, TX/SLIPSTREAM) 18
1. Michael Dessau (Boulder, CO/SLIPSTREAM) 18
2. Zachary Carlson (Plano, TX/RBM MATRIX) 10
2. Landon Beauchamp (Dallas, TX/RBM MATRIX) 10
3. Richard Rainville (Livonia, MI/TEAM SWAG) 7
3. Alexander Riva (Pleasant Prairie, WI/TEAM SWAG) 7
4. Aidan Kesner (Lexington, MA/CYCLELOFT) 9
4. Cale Denison (Macomb, MI/CYCLELOFT) 9
5. Bobby Unverzagt (Torrance, CA/CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’) DNS
5. Cesar Lopez (El Paso, TX/CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’) DNS
USA Cycling Press Release
Photo by Anthony Skorochod of Cycling Captured